The BroadForward Diameter router (DSC) is the world’s leading intelligent Diameter routing and multi-protocol interworking product. It supports 2G/3G, 4G/LTE, 5G, IMS, Fixed, Wi-Fi, IT and M2M networks, as well as Security and Number Portability. Based on a unique single-design software solution for routing and interworking, the BroadForward DSC is ready to support the transition to 5G NG Core. With its easy-to-use signaling orchestration GUI, users can freely combine protocols with on-board functions to resolve signaling issues and setup advanced service scenarios. With the BroadForward DSC there is no need for (proprietary) scripting or development.
Diameter routing and interworking across technologies and domains
The BroadForward DSC offers users a flexible and integrated set of routing and service creation capabilities. The DSC is uniquely capable to enable scenarios across 3GPP based networks (2G, 3G, 4G/LTE, 5G, IMS), non-3GPP networks (Wi-Fi, Cable, DSL, FTTH, Fixed) as well as IT domains. On-board functions include intelligent routing, any-to-any interworking, storage, mediation, protocol conversion, load balancing, screening and advanced service logic. It features a wide range of protocols, including Diameter, RADIUS, HTTP, LDAP, ENUM, SS7. The BroadForward DSC is the smartest choice for operators who deal with different technologies in multi-vendor environments. The BroadForward DSC is much more than just a Diameter router:
- Diameter Routing Agent and Edge Agent for any Diameter application, including Gx, Gy, Gz, Rx, Ro, Rf, Sy, Sh, SLg, SLh, S6a, S6b, S6d, S9, S13, SWm, SWx, Cx, Dx, Wg (NASREQ), Wx, Diameter SIP Application, MM10 and SCAPv1/v2;
- Intelligent routing, ability to route Diameter messages based on various Diameter parameters or combinations of parameters;
- Stateless and stateful load balancing/sharing;
- PCRF binding for VoLTE and VoWi-Fi;
- Admission / Access control, message screening;
- Diameter firewall (GSMA FS.19 including Cat. 0, 1, 2 and 3 filtering mechanisms);
- Congestion control, ingress and egress throttling, overload protection, SLA enforcement;
- AVP level mediation and manipulation;
- Network topology hiding;
- Subscriber Lookup Function (SLF), routing based on external data sources (e.g. LDAP, HTTP, ENUM);
- Steering of roaming;
- Number Portability (lookups, routing, mediation, caching);
- Interworking with SS7/MAP, RADIUS and various IT protocols (REST, SOAP, LDAP, ENUM etc.).
- Option to combine with the Signaling Transfer Point (STP);
- Extendable to the Service Communication Proxy (SCP) and Security Edge Protection Proxy (SEPP) for 5G support.
Hardware-agnostic solution, supporting NFV
The BroadForward DSC runs on any off-the-shelf hardware or in a virtualized environment. It is built from the ground up as a 100% pure software solution and supports virtualization and cloud deployment (VMware, KVM, Xen, OpenStack, Amazon etc.). The BroadForward DSC does not rely on specialist hardware or proprietary operating systems. The BroadForward DSC can run on a common platform to enable migration from proprietary appliance based systems to a standard hardware and cloud based infrastructure.
The BroadForward DSC is an extremely flexible, high performance signaling controller. It can run standalone or seamlessly embedded in the majority of new and existing systems to support any network or IT interface with minimal implementation effort. It can also simultaneously handle multiple connections on different interfaces in the operator’s network, for both Diameter and non-Diameter interfaces. Running the BroadForward DSC as a virtualized network function (NFV) on standard hardware will help not only to bring costs down, it makes it easier to introduce new services much faster.
The BroadForward DSC offers major differentiators compared to traditional router products:
- Unique combination of DRA, DEA and IWF on a single platform (integrated solution);
- Single solution for any-to-any protocol interworking and routing, not just Diameter;
- Works across Diameter, RADIUS, SS7 and IT protocols;
- GUI based services orchestration, configurable service logic, no need for scripting or development;
- Extensive mediation and interworking capabilities, fastest time to market for service innovation;
- Most complete MAP-Diameter interworking function (on-board);
- Enables stateful scenarios using the on-board session database;
- Supports integration with subscriber databases and IT systems;
- Robust, carrier grade solution, N+1 scalable, high available, geo-redundant;
- Software based, supports use of standard hardware, virtualization and cloud deployment;
- Structural reduction of integration efforts, hardware costs and vendor lock-in;
- On-board Diameter Firewall (optional).