BFX, the Next Generation Diameter Signaling Controller (DSC)
BFX is the Next Generation Signaling Controller and Interface Gateway for 3G, 4G/LTE, 5G, IMS, Fixed, Wi-Fi, Number Portability, IT and M2M networks. BFX is a unique single-design software solution for DRA, DEA and interworking. The service orchestration GUI allows users to freely combine protocols with on-board functions to setup advanced service scenarios, without the need for scripting or development.
Functions include routing, any-to-any interworking, mediation, protocol conversion, load balancing and advanced service logic for a wide range of protocols, including Diameter, RADIUS, HTTP, LDAP, ENUM, SS7 etc. BFX offers everything that is needed for advanced routing and interworking in a single software solution. This makes BFX the smartest choice for operators, vendors and integrators to enable advanced use cases across networks, technologies and systems.
Diameter routing and interworking across technologies and domains
BFX offers users a flexible and integrated set of routing and service creation capabilities that work across 3GPP based networks (2G, 3G, LTE, IMS), non-3GPP networks (Wi-Fi, Cable, DSL, FTTH, Fixed) and IT domains, without the need for R&D or scripting. As Next Generation DSC, BFX supports all relevant functions for Diameter routing and interworking, including:
- Diameter Routing Agent and Edge Agent for any Diameter application, including Gx, Gy, Gz, Rx, Ro, Rf, Sy, Sh, SLh, S6a, S6b, S6d, S9, S13, SWm, SWx, Cx, Dx, Wg (NASREQ), Wx, Diameter SIP Application and SCAPv1/v2;
- Intelligent routing, ability to route Diameter messages based on various Diameter parameters or combinations of parameters;
- Stateless and stateful load balancing/sharing;
- PCRF binding for VoLTE and VoWi-Fi;
- Admission / Access control, message screening;
- Diameter firewall (GSMA FS.19 including Cat. 0, 1, 2 and 3 filtering mechanisms);
- Congestion control, ingress and egress throttling, overload protection, SLA enforcement;
- AVP level mediation and manipulation;
- Network topology hiding;
- Subscriber Lookup Function (SLF), routing based on external data sources (e.g. LDAP, HTTP, ENUM);
- Steering of roaming;
- Number Portability (lookups, routing, mediation, caching);
- Interworking with SS7/MAP, RADIUS and various IT protocols (REST, SOAP, LDAP, ENUM etc.).
Hardware-agnostic solution, supporting NFV
BFX runs on any off-the-shelf hardware or in a virtualized environment. BFX is built from the ground up as a 100% pure software solution, supporting virtualization and cloud deployment (VMWare, KVM, Xen, OpenStack, Amazon etc.). BFX does not rely on specialist hardware or proprietary operating systems. By offering the ability to deploy BFX on a common platform, BroadForward supports operators and vendors to migrate from proprietary appliance based systems to a standard hardware and cloud based infrastructure.
BFX is an extremely flexible, high performance interface gateway that can run standalone or seamlessly embedded in the majority of new and existing systems to support any network or IT interface with minimal implementation effort. It can simultaneously handle multiple connections on different interfaces in the operator’s network, for both Diameter and non-Diameter interfaces. Running BFX as a virtualized network function on standard hardware will help operators and vendors to get costs down and be more flexible in order to introduce new services much faster.
BFX offers major differentiators compared to traditional Diameter Signaling Controller products:
- Unique combination of DRA, DEA and IWF on a single platform (integrated solution);
- Single solution for any-to-any protocol interworking and routing, not just Diameter;
- Works across Diameter, RADIUS, SS7 and IT protocols;
- GUI based services orchestration, configurable service logic, no need for scripting or development;
- Extensive mediation and interworking capabilities, fastest time to market for service innovation;
- Most complete MAP-Diameter interworking function (on-board);
- Enables stateful scenarios using the on-board session database;
- Supports integration with subscriber databases and IT systems;
- Robust, carrier grade solution, N+1 scalable, high available, geo-redundant;
- Software based, supports use of standard hardware, virtualization and cloud deployment;
- Structural reduction of integration efforts, hardware costs and vendor lock-in.