The BroadForward Next Generation Signaling Transfer Point (STP) is a complete solution for intelligent routing of SS7 signaling traffic in 2G and 3G networks. It is part of BroadForward’s integrated solution portfolio for converged, multi-protocol signaling across 2G/3G, 4G and 5G (SS7, Diameter, HTTP, SIP and more).Dealing with end-of-life STPs
Even though mobile network technology is evolving fast, older generation networks (2G and 3G) based on SS7 signaling will continue to exist for many years to come. Therefore, STPs will remain vital components in operator networks and will require vendor support for the foreseeable future.
Today, many operators are faced with STPs and ITPs that are End-Of-Life or End-Of-Support, as multiple suppliers have decided to discontinue their legacy products. Operators therefore have to look for an STP / ITP replacement. While this is unfortunate, it also offers the opportunity to reduce operational cost and move away from the legacy SS7 product, running on proprietary hardware. The BroadForward STP offers consolidation across signaling solutions. Legacy solutions are often silo-based, meaning they are designed to address a single technology, single protocol and single function. In contrast, BroadForward provides single engine signaling solutions that work across 2G/3G, 4G and 5G. BroadForward offers the STP either standalone or together with the Diameter Signaling Controller (DSC).
BroadForward Next Generation Signaling Transfer Point
The BroadForward Next Generation Signaling Transfer Point (BroadForward STP) is a complete solution for intelligent routing of SS7 signaling traffic in 2G and 3G networks. It is part of BroadForward’s integrated solution portfolio for converged, multi-protocol signaling across networks. This includes 2G/3G, 4G and 5G (SS7, Diameter, HTTP, SIP and more). The BroadForward STP offers a future-proof choice, with major benefits compared to traditional STP products.
- Full STP support according to international standards and variants, including mixed modes;
- Supporting low speed, high speed and SIGTRAN signaling links;
- Extensive feature set for screening, tracing, filtering, congestion control, throttling, anti-flooding and policing;
- Routing and screening capabilities based on one or multiple layers (e.g. SCCP, TCAP, MAP, INAP, etc.);
- On-board (optional) support for:
- SMS proxy function for First Delivery Attempt (FDA) messaging, home routing, USSD gateway, Black/White lists and more
- Firewall, including content scanning and filtering
- Selective signaling message duplication function
- Mobile Number Portability (MNP)
- Equipment Information Register (EIR)
- DRA/DEA for Diameter signaling support and SS7-Diameter interworking
- Service Framework Support Function (SFSF) for service orchestration and control in the 5G NG Core
- Distributed front-end / back-end architecture for optimized routing, resource allocation and scalability;
- Robust, carrier grade solution, highly scalable, high available, geo-redundant;
- GUI based services orchestration and system management, configurable service logic, no need for scripting or development;
- Can be delivered together with the Diameter Signaling Controller (DSC).
Hardware-agnostic solution, supporting NFV
The BroadForward STP runs on any off-the-shelf hardware or in a virtualized environment. It is a 100% software based solution, supporting virtualization and cloud deployment (VMWare, KVM, OpenStack etc.). The STP does not rely on specialist hardware or proprietary operating systems. By offering the ability to deploy the STP on a common platform, BroadForward supports operators and vendors in migrating from proprietary based appliance systems to a standard hardware and cloud based infrastructure.