The BroadForward Multi-IMSI Roaming (MIR) solution enables operators to provide sponsored roaming services for voice/SMS and data to their partners. The core network signaling solution enables a wide range of flexible signaling capabilities such as dynamic IMSI translation between the Sponsor IMSI and the Home Mobile Network IMSI for both for eSIM and SIM based Multi-IMSI scenarios. The BroadForward Multi-IMSI Roaming solution is in use at operators worldwide, including Europe’s largest mobile operator group.
Sponsored roaming services
For operators around the world, it is attractive to provide so-called sponsored roaming services. This way they can allow business partners to instantly leverage the operator’s (regional) coverage and roaming agreements via its roaming partners. It means these partners don’t need to build their own worldwide network of roaming partners and agreements. That would take years. With the sponsored roaming service, operators can offer their partner’s customers better international coverage against lower costs, while keeping their own telephone number.
Example service scenario in which the sponsored roamer can keep using the Home MSISDN for in bound calls:
- Multi-IMSI SIM-card which contains 2 IMSI’s. IMSI 1 is the home IMSI and IMSI 2 is the sponsored IMSI.
- Mappings between IMSI 1 and IMSI 2 are maintained in a database on the MIR.
- The home PLMN does not need to know IMSI 2 for each subscriber. Instead the subscriber remains provisioned with the existing IMSI 1.
Sponsored roaming with the BroadForward Multi-IMSI Roaming (MIR) solution
The BroadForward Multi-IMSI Roaming solution is a highly flexible, software based signaling solution. It enables operators to setup advanced Isignaling scenarios without the need for scripting or coding. This includes dynamic mapping and conversion between Sponsor IMSIs and the Home Mobile Network IMSI, as well as Global title conversion. The Multi-IMSI Roaming solution is part of a suite of BroadForward next generation products for routing, interworking, security and number portability. The BroadForward Multi-IMSI Roaming solution is in use with MVNOs, Intermediary providers and MNOs, including one of the world’s largest operator groups.
Software based Multi-IMSI solution
The BroadForward Multi-IMSI Roaming solution offers a complete and powerful core network solution to enable sponsored roaming services for voice and data for both Multi-IMSI SIM and eSIM:
- Core network signaling solution enabling smart IMSI translation between the Sponsor IMSI and the Home Mobile Network IMSI
- Enables the use of the home MSISDN with the roaming IMSI (also for inbound calls)
- Supports GSM (SS7) as well as LTE (Diameter) networks
- Enables Multi-IMSI provisioning and dynamic mapping
- Supports Global title conversion
- Central logging point (EDR-registration) and tracing capabilities
- 100% software based, runs on standard hardware or virtualized / hosted
- GUI based management and configuration, no need for scripting or development
- Carrier grade, highly scalable, high available, geo-redundant solution
Hardware-agnostic solution, supporting NFV
The BroadForward MIR runs on any off-the-shelf hardware or in a virtualized environment. It is a 100% software based solution, supporting virtualization and cloud deployment (VMware, KVM, OpenStack, Amazon etc.) as well as containerized application deployment (Docker, Kubernetes). The Multi-IMSI Roaming solution does not rely on specialist hardware or proprietary operating systems. The ability to deploy the BroadForward MIR on a common (shared) platform supports operators and vendors in migrating away from proprietary based appliance systems to a standards based hardware and cloud based infrastructure.