Dealing with shortcomings of traditional HLR and HSS solutions
Until now there were limited options available for service providers to buy a high quality, carrier grade HSS solution at the right price point. Traditionally this has always been a ‘big vendor’ market targeting large operators with millions of subscribers. This is why many service providers, such as smaller operators, MVNOs and M2M networks are facing price and scalability issues with traditional HLR and HSS products.
System upgrades and migrations from traditional HLR to HSS products typically involve high license cost and platform swaps. Moreover, first generation HSS products are not designed to provide the flexibility required to meet the demands of modern networks as they require capabilities such as multi-play, service agility and virtualization.
Single software solution for HSS, HLR, AuC, EIR and SLF
BroadForward provides a Next Generation HSS (“NG HSS”) solution for GSM, UMTS, LTE, IMS, Wi-Fi and M2M networks. The NG HSS is ideally suited for the MVNO/MVNE and M2M market. It is designed to overcome the limitations and disadvantages of traditional HSS products regarding flexibility, virtualization, cost of scaling and vendor lock-in. It supports multiple technologies and functions in a single software design:
- Home Subscriber Server (HSS) for LTE Data
- Home Subscriber Server (HSS) for IMS Voice
- Home Location Register (HLR) and Authentication Center (AuC) for 2G/3G
- Equipment Identity Register (EIR)
- Subscriber Location Function (SLF)
- Multi-protocol interworking (SS7, Diameter, RADIUS, IT protocols)
The HSS and HLR functions share a single data repository, which provides convergence of subscription-related information (subscriber profiles), authentication, subscriber location and IP information.
Maximum services agility and independence
Operators are looking for more agility and want to be less dependent on vendors, as they move from 2G/3G to LTE/IMS and introduce new services such as VoLTE and M2M/IoT. The NG HSS provides a more flexible and scalable product compared to the traditional HLR and HSS offerings. The NG HSS has a much better fit with the demands of modern networks, regarding service innovation, agility, virtualization as well as cost reduction. The NG HSS combines a highly scalable subscriber management platform with an extensive set of interfacing options, provided by BroadForward DSC, the world’s most advanced intelligent routing and interworking product.
The NG HSS enables service providers to manage multiple subscriber identities in a single solution across different Diameter, SS7 and RADIUS based network types. The solution is fully software based, supports NFV and cloud deployment and offers a GUI based configuration and management environment.
The NG HSS offers service providers a carrier grade software product that combines HSS and HLR in a single solution. It features out-of-the-box support for multi-play services, and comes with a transparent license model that scales with your business. This combination provides an excellent alternative for service providers facing the typical barriers of the traditional HLR and HSS products:
- Complete offering for GSM, UMTS, LTE, IMS, Wi-Fi and M2M networks;
- Single software solution for HSS, HLR, AuC, EIR and SLF;
- Extensive set of interfacing options using the BroadForward DSC as Front-end;
- Affordable, designed to be cost effective also for smaller operators and MVNO’s;
- No pricing and scalability barriers typical for traditional HSS products;
- Modular approach, functionality can flexibly be adapted to customer needs;
- Convergence of subscriber information across access networks;
- Support for multi-SIM, multi-IMSI, multi-MSISDN, multi-HPLMN/country, multi-profile and virtual routing instances;
- Single subscription with unlimited number of profiles;
- Multi-tenant solution to support multiple user types/groups;
- Advanced multi-protocol interworking (SS7, Diameter, RADIUS, IT protocols);
- Robust, carrier grade solution, N+1 scalable, high available, geo-redundant;
- Software based, supports NFV and cloud deployment.